This page outlines students of Richard Dennis, Ed Seykota, Bill Dunn, John Henry and Richard Donchian. If you learn anything from this page learn that trading is teachable. All below would agree 100%.
Richard Dennis Students: Sampling of Students
- Brian Proctor was a Turtle.
- Jeff Gordon was a Turtle.
- Philip Lu was a Turtle.
- Erle Keefer was a Turtle. His firm was Glendan, Ltd. He is now in the venture capital field.
- Michael Cavallo was a Turtle. His firm was Cavallo Capital Management. Now involved with non-profit work in Massachusetts.
- Jerry Parker was a Turtle.
- Jiri Svoboda was a Turtle.
- Jim Melnick was a Turtle.
- Sjo was a Turtle.
- Craig Soderquist was a Turtle.
- Paul Rabar was a Turtle.
- Michael Carr was a Turtle.
- Howard Seidler was a Turtle.
- James DiMaria was a Turtle.
- Mike Shannon was a Turtle.
- James Kenny was a Turtle.
- William Eckhardt was Dennis’ Partner.
- Mohammed Allani.
- Robert Pardo.
- Cameron Payne.
- Pierre Tullier with Dunn Capital.
- Daniel Dunn with Dunn Capital (Bill Dunn’s son).
I remember in 1979 or 1980 at one of the early MAR conferences being impressed by the fact that I counted 19 CTAs who were managing public funds, and I could directly identify 16 of the 19 with Dick Donchian. They had either worked for him or had had monies invested with him. To me, that’s the best evidence of his impact in the early days. Dick has always been very proud of the fact that his people have prospered. He also was proud that after so many years in which his was the lone voice in the wilderness, his thinking eventually came to be the dominant thinking of the industry.
Brent Elam, Elam Management Corp.
Richard Donchian, though now deceased, left many students that still trade or run money management firms. A sampling of his students include:
- Nelson Chang worked for Donchian. Started Chang-Crowell Corp.
- Robert Crowell worked for Donchian. Started Chang-Crowell Corp.
- Bruce Terry worked for Chang-Crowell Corp.
- Barbara Saslaw Dixon worked for Donchian. Started Spackenkill Trading.
- Paul E. Dean of TrendLogic was a student of Richard Donchian.
- Brentin Elam of TrendLogic was a student of Richard Donchian. Started Elam Management Corporation also.
Assistants to Richard Dennis
- Dale Dellutri worked for Richard Dennis and his partner Michael J. O’Brien. He assisted with the Turtle training program.
- Robert Moss worked for Richard Dennis and now runs RAM Management Group.
Second Generation Traders: Sampling
- Irwin Berger was a second generation Turtle with Sjo.
- Susan Sjo was a second generation Turtle with Sjo.
- Brad Cole was a second generation Turtle with Sjo.
- Bruno Schneider was a second generation Turtle. Formerly of the Sjo trading desk. Launched his firm Mayflower Capital in 1993 to trade as he describes it, a long term, trend following system with a risk management methodology. Said another way: Trend Following.
- Jeff Izenman was a 2nd generation Turtle with Rabar.
- John Hoade is a 2nd generation Turtle brother-in-law with Chesapeake.
- Jonathan Craven is a 2nd generation Turtle. Runs firm GIC, LLC. Training with Jerry Parker. Training with Brian Byrnes.
- Mark J. Walsh was a 2nd generation Turtle. Runs firm Mark J. Walsh and Company. Training with Richard Dennis. Trained 2nd generation Turtle John Helter. Training with Craig Soderquist. Training with Brian Proctor.
- Tom Rollinger was a 2nd generation Turtle. Runs firm Rollinger Capital Management.
- Eddie Abraham was 2nd generation Turtle. Trained with brother Salem Abraham. Salem associated with Turtle Jerry Parker.
- Craig Caudle was a 2nd generation Turtle with Salem Abraham.
Trend Following Products
Review trend following systems and training: